Thursday, May 24, 2012

Getting Ready for Lemonade Season


This lovely pitcher holds the better part of a gallon of lemonade and was made by Neil Estrick back when were in grad school at Utah State. Wood fired with lots of drippy ash on one side and nice toasty fly-ash on the other side. Love that nice thick handle. Seems to give it just the right amount of lift and strength.

I am really looking forward to parties outside on the lawn this summer, with lots of tea and lemonade from all of our pitchers! (Might be time to stock up on some tumblers though)

6 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

Alex, that is a beauty of a pitcher. Sometimes i am more blown away by a pot that really stands the time- look at that handle.
Beautiful.

Alex Solla said...

Neil really made some killer pitchers in grad school. He loved making teapots, but I think his pitchers were a much stronger form for his way of working. Wait till you see the tall cylindrical one I aim to shoot tonight. Stunning. Wish I had had the $$ to buy some of his multicolored woodfired ones...they looked like rainbow trout. Really wild.

Julia said...

Ah - made right down the road (figuratively speaking) from me! Lovely pitcher...and you made me want lemonade and BBQ.

Alex Solla said...

Julia, Yeah, it really was/is just down the road from you. Living in Logan for grad school was a fantastic albeit bizarre time in my life. Lots of good things came out of it. Have been back once for a wedding and really need an excuse to visit again soon.

Quietly Otaku said...

Wow beautiful! I wish it was Lemonade season here, far too chill for it here unfortunately...

Alex Solla said...

Today we will be hitting the temperature where I stop enjoying being outside. Between the humidity and the heat, I just melt. Finally found some sugar free lemonade that doesn't taste hideous and fake. Needless to say, my pitcher shall runneth over!