Monday, February 23, 2009

Taken to a new/old extreme

I think that by and large potters feel like they're part of a long standing tradition. Often you can see the lineage in someone's pots. The spout turns this way, the footring is cut this way, the throwing lines wind here or end there... all coming from previous potters. Yet combined, somehow, it becomes new. Eventually, it becomes the potter.

Here's a modern (humorous) take on this evolution.


I have no idea how I came across this image. Probably found it on StumbleUpon... so if anyone knows who made this, please let me know so I can give credit. I love this !
Makes me want to see some Yixing teapots made in modern forms... milk jugs, remote controls, shoes... something other than trees, pumpkins...the usual forms. Then again, I just think it would be funny. Not sure it would be art. But Robert Arneson might be smiling in his grave.

3 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

I think I would love to drink a beer out of one of those- what fun!

Anonymous said...

I really think those cans are cool... I'm always amazed at the following of blue and white ware. I did a bunch of vases that way and most of the people who purchased them that I talked to said that they collected blue and white but never collected any contemporary work or non-blue and white ceramics. It seems that the blue and white has achieved an archetypal status amongst clay work.
Jim

Alex Solla said...

I would agree with you Jim that blue and white decoration has definitely reached its pinnacle. Being an archetype though, also means that it can be deconstructed and re-invented. That's what I see as so cool about it. Jason Walker did some AMAZING brushwork in blue and white (and sometimes enamel overglaze too) back when he was an undergrad at Utah State. Will have to dig up some images of his older work and current work. Suffice to say, I think his voice speaks volumes of what comes from truly digesting the styles and archetypes we are immersed in.