Monday, February 1, 2010

Shooting One More Round For January

Mary Ellen Salmon ©2010 Cold Springs Studio Photography


Mary Ellen Salmon ©2010 Cold Springs Studio Photography




Salmon Gallery ©2010 Cold Springs Studio Photography




Julie Crosby ©2010 Cold Springs Studio Photography

I have spent more time in January making images of pots than I have spent actually MAKING pots. This is a first! It has been a blast too. Something about getting to see other styles of forming has been very informative. I love handling other potters' pots and this new process makes it that much easier! Before I get setup, I try to look at what sort of images they've had made in the past, or what their current website looks like. I compare that to what I think the forms could look like if shot differently. It's always a tough process but it becomes even tougher when you find other photographers who are making really great images.

4 comments:

Julia said...

I need you to take pictures of MY pottery. What lovely images!

Anonymous said...

love that first bowl... it's beautiful. the pictures are supreme too.

cookingwithgas said...

love those pots!
I love texture.
Your shots are great and I wish I could pop over with some pots to shoot.

Alex Solla said...

@Meredith@Cookingwithgas:
Thank you for the kind words. Shooting Mary Ellen Salmon's pots is always fun for me BECAUSE of that texture. It just screams for dramatic lighting. I did some goofing around images using side lighting and cross lighting via strobe. They were awesome images, but nothing like the ones we chose for her final images. I have tons more to learn about strobe before I can pull that style of lighting off.

And Meredith... as for bringing pots over to shoot... I put a bug in Samantha Heneke's ear about having us come down to NC to do a weekend workshop, teaching folks how to shoot their work. You guys already have a pretty good idea how to shoot your work. One weekend with some intensive hands-on and you would easily be on your way!