Thursday, March 25, 2010

New Pots just keep on coming

©2010 Cold Springs Studio Pottery - Alex Solla


©2010 Cold Springs Studio Pottery - Alex Solla


I haven't blogged much about making pots lately. By and large, it's because it has been very difficult to make work since the surgery. Each firing brings with it though, a sense of what is to come. No matter how great a firing turns out, the next BEST pot is always in the next firing. This week the firing was nearly all Cranberry. Unfortunately, Cranberry never photographs well. I have some ideas I would like to try the next time we set up to shoot... but for now you'll have to settle for everything except Cranberry.

©2010 Cold Springs Studio Pottery - Alex Solla


©2010 Cold Springs Studio Pottery - Alex Solla



©2010 Cold Springs Studio Pottery - Alex Solla

4 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Looking good Alex!

Alex Solla said...

Thanks Patricia. My hope was to have more made by this time of year, but the healing process has plateaued, and unfortunately lifting has become problemsome. At this point, if I lift a bag of clay, a kiln shelf or a bucket of glaze, I can feel the muscle tear around the colostomy. Then for the next two or three days I feel the tissue pushing through the herniation. Not a comforting feeling at all. So I have stopped trying to push this river. I will wait until I have met with a new surgeon and they fix all that remains broken. Till then, I will look out across our gallery showroom and know that more pots are yet to be made!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

I'm sorry Alex. That sounds really hard. I have a sister who is very ill with a chronic and painful condition. She also is an artist, but can't do her art now. She's had to accept so many limitations in the past year, but still holds hope that things will change. Like you, she has "stopped trying to push this river." I know she could relate to that analogy... I hope the new surgeon can help you. Best wishes.

Quietly Otaku said...

I hope you feel like your able to produce more pottery soon.

I love the colours of your work its so vibrant, I also really like those bowls. Great work.