Sunday, October 11, 2009

Birthday Presents

Today instead of being at the hospital or being in the studio, I slept. I slept from 11am when Mom and I came back from the hospital until 3:30, when Aurora came in and gave me a birthday present. I slept with both my kitties, since my baby Luna was back from the vet's. The bed was warm and my kitties were purring, and I knew that Sabra and my Mom would take good care of the shop during our open studio sale.

When Mom and I saw Alex in the morning, he started crying when he saw my face. We couldn't tell how "awake" he was, since there was still sedative in his system. We couldn't tell how much he could understand or remember of what we were saying. It was so hard to know what to do, what to try and tell him, what to ask him. It was awful. Leaving the hospital was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I was at my wit's end and I thought my stress would make his stress worse.

After my nap, I met Sabra and hung out in the studio with her and Mom. We sold some more pots. Yay! When we closed, Sabra headed back to Rochester, and Mom took me to Mary Ellen and Joe's for my birthday dinner. YUM. I am definitely getting spoiled when it comes to meals!

Mary Ellen brought me home, but first we stopped at the hospital. Alex was awake and more cogent than he had been in the morning. He was obviously trying to tell us something, and it wasn't about being in pain or needing to be repositioned. I asked him, "Are you trying to tell me that you love me?" And he smiled. HE SMILED!!!! That's when I knew how aware he was. He wanted to know what happened, so I gave him the brief recap of the last month, and told him that he's going to be perfectly fine. That seemed to ease his mind. I asked him if he knew what day tomorrow was; it's our anniversary. He was looking past me at the wedding photo I had put in his room. I asked him if he wanted me to bring our wedding album in tomorrow and his eyes lit up.

Now I ask you, what more could a woman want for her birthday?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Such great news about Alex! Thanks for sharing about your wonderful birthday, it was so touching and definitely speaks of the special bond between you two. Wishing you a wonderful anniversary with continued healing and recovery.

Alex Solla said...

Thanks, Neccica!

Anonymous said...

so very glad to read this... sounds like alex is out of the woods and it's been such a long time. glad you got this birthday present.

cookingwithgas said...

I was holding my breath!
I am so happy things are coming along.
Birthday wishes and Happy Anniversary to you!

Alex Solla said...

Thank you, everyone!