Friday, October 9, 2009

"Tough Love"

Today was pretty much like yesterday, with poor Alex drifting in and out of consciousness, feeling confused and in pain whenever he woke up. It's so incredibly hard to watch. Dr. Hannon believes in "tough love" in this situation; we have to put him through this discomfort in order to wake him up and get the healing process started. I hate this so much, I can't even tell you.

The good news is, they took the tube out of his chest that was used to drain the pleural effusion, so he's more comfortable. They also took out the "PIC" line that was in his arm. It's kind of like an IV on steroids; they insert a tube in his arm and run it through the vein and into the chest.

The bad news is the *reason* they took out the PIC line: When they removed the IV line from his chest to move it to a spot under his clavicle, they took the tip and tested it for bacteria. It came up positive, so he has an infection. They don't need the PIC line now that we're reducing the number of IV meds he's on, so they took that out, assuming that it may also be infected.

So Alex is running a fever again, and they've changed his antibiotics again. Oh, and the old antibiotic seems to have given him hives all over his torso, inner arms, and legs. How fun is that? This poor man has been on antibiotics for a month, plus an antifungal for the yeast that spilled into his body cavity. He can't have much intestinal floral left at this point.

The hospital is not a place to go to get well, really; the cures are always at least as bad as the disease. I know all these things are saving his life, but they're certainly not good for his overall health! I'm grateful he didn't die, but it's hard to watch him struggle with problem after problem as a result of the wonders of modern medicine. It just seems like such a paradox, kind of like "tough love."

Wouldn't it be sweet if Alex were cogent in time for our wedding anniversary on Monday? It's a nice dream, anyway...

3 comments:

kathy chase-jones said...

Nancy hang in there! Things just seem to get tougher & tougher, but all of a sudden there will be a turning point & Alex will improve.You are doing the best thing talking to him & just being there. When my brother finally "woke up" after his surgery he said he kept hearing my voice & dreaming about fun things we did when I was a teenager. So you never know what Alex is dreaming of, but I'm sure it is great things of you & Aurora! Kathy C-J

DirtKicker Pottery said...

I've been reading your daily blogs and I just want to say that I think you are a strong Lady. You're hanging tough and being strong for your hubby. I say a prayer for Alex (and you) every time I read your blogs. I'm so sorry you both are having to go through this horrible trial. All I can say is hang in there and keep positive. Hugs - Cindy

Alex Solla said...

Aw, thanks, Kathy and Cindy! It looks like we hit a turning point today!